Re: Help on Investigating Kernel crashes

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 09:05:45AM -0400, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 02:08:52PM +0200, Jan Hudec wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 04:53:50PM +0530, Satya Prasad DV wrote:
> > > Thanks for the advice.
> > >  Iam downloading the 2.4.9-34 rpms.
> > > By the way, should I use i586 or i686 RPM for P-III processor.
> > > I've already ran memtest-x86 but the tests were successful.
> >
> > Try to compile the kernel yourself. Kernel CPU options seem to claim 586
> > and 686 is the same... and pentium-III is something else.
>
> The only difference between i686 and pentium-III is use of the
> prefetch() instruction. While this can be a benifit (and well, it is
> in specific kernel heavy loads) it should also not be overstated

Well, I just looked in the config. Not at how much difference it makes.

> > As far as OOPS output is concerned, there is a program called ksymoops
> > (probably it has a separate package). Pipe the OOPS output through this
> > program.
>
> if you're using the 2.4.9-34 kernel; please DON'T run it through
> ksymoops since the kernel will already spit out decoded information; in my
> experience ksymoops after a reboot just fucks that up ;(

If the kernel already spit out decoded information, then you of course
don't need to pipe it through anything.

If the kernel alreadt spit out decoded information, then it's one more
reason why _not_ to use it in my opinion (because it's a bloat that does
not belong to kernel)

And note, that I said, that ksymoops must be run immediately after the
OOPS is logged. Or you can run it later, but you need to dump the info
- namely /proc/ksyms and /proc/modules at the time of the OOPS and then
pass these dumps to ksymoops. Then ksymoops will get it right.
Otherwise, just loading the modules in different order after a reboot
logically makes ksymoops screw things up.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>