Re: Doubt - kdbg remote debugger using null modem cable

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:35:40AM -0700, Brad Remedios wrote:
> >    Dev. m/c:
> >        cat <file> > /dev/ttyS0
> >
> >    Tar m/c
> >        cat  /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > Unfortunately the expected is not happening.
> > First of all, I want to know the null modem cable which I'm using is
> > proper.
>
> Sounds like rx and tx are not right (not null modem).

My experience with null modem cables and serials ports has taught me
that cat is not a good way to test if the ports are working as expected.
I suggest firing up minicom or seyon (they both suck, sorry!)  on both
machines, make sure they are set to the same settings (8n1, 115200, etc)
and _THEN_ try the connection.

The ports require ioctls to set them up properly before you can use
something as simple as cat. Using setserial to do this is IMHO more
confusing than just using minicom.

Good luck

--
It seems the power has been robbed from the founding fathers and is now
firmly in the hand of the funding fathers -- Rik van Riel