low memory detection

hi,
      This question is about how I can  detect whether
a system is low  on memory.
      Consider a finite state automaton consisting of
just 2 states. The first state is where the system is
ok with memory and the second state is where its low
on real memory. In that what events in the kernel can
give me an indication that the system is progressing
towards a low memory state, these events would be the
labels of the arcs from the state 1 to state 2.
Similarly there would be a arcs from state 2 to state
1 which would imply the actions taken by the OS to
revive itself.
     Any help in this matter will be appreciated.
     thanks,
         amit