Re: volatile and caches

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 03:28:44PM -0600, Tom Bradley wrote:
> Okay I stand corrected the Linux implementation of the locks do give you
> the current value and not cached, I checked the code for x86.

Some doc actualy stated thhis to be guaranteed everywhere. And many
places in kernel rely on it. Like the numerous places where list_heads
are operated just under spinlocks. And list_heads are definitely not
declated volatile.

And there was code for parallel read safe list insert in some doc, that
had barrier() in the middle and then it was stated, that it's still
wrong on some archs, because the store may not be atomic there.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>