Re: kudzu ?

Mcen navaraj wrote:
> hi,
>
> i want to learn about the kudzu ?
> any one know about the documentatioin about kudzu ?
> please tell me how kudzu probe the devices ?
> bye

> http://www.hotjobs.com
> --

 From what I remember kudzu uses the /proc/pci fs to display information ...
What happens in most pci based probers is that they use pci device id's
which is what you get when you "tickle" the pci bus.
You have another two very usefull repositories in your system (both
provided by pciutils)
The lspci binary and the /usr/share/pci.ids file :

lspci
====
lspci -n gives you the base pci numbers (vendor id and device id )
lspci -vvn gives you __ALOT__ of info including subvendor id's and
subdevice id's

/usr/share/pci.ids
==============
lspci uses this file to transfer the probed numbers to description (for
example ATI card blah blah)
Checkout the comments in the begining of the file to understand the format.

Well after checking kudzu in parallel it may do the same thing that the
kernel does with the repositories above but it's a python package that
has a probe method implyng that it checks the pci bus alone and it has
it's own pci ids repository:
/usr/share/kudzu/pcitable.
anyway hope this helps ...
greets -