Re: strange diff or file system behavior

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 05:32:24PM -0400, walt wrote:
> I've run into a strange problem either with diff or with the file system. I
> have an iso image of a gzipped file called db.iso.  If I copy that file to a
> new file on the same partition and run diff, it tells me they differ. Also,
> when I copy the file via nfs(see example below for /fs2-backup/), it corrupts
> the gzip, but not when I scp the file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Here are a few examples:
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cp db.iso db.iso-1
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	     Where is this directory? You provide fstab, but don't tell
	     which of the filesystems is involved.
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# diff db.iso db.iso-1
> Binary files db.iso and db.iso-1 differ

Have you tried to compare them with something else too? Computing
checksums, stating (to see if they have the same size), cmp -b to see
how much they actually differ?

> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cp /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 .
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# diff /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 vmlinuz-2.4.18-3
> [root@walt mysql_archive]#
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cp vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 timma
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# diff vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 timma
> [root@walt mysql_archive]#
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cp db.iso ../
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# diff db.iso ../db.iso
> Binary files db.iso and ../db.iso differ
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cp db.iso /opt/
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# diff db.iso /opt/db.iso
> [root@walt mysql_archive]#
>

> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cp /fs2-backup/db.iso .
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# mount -t iso9660 -o loop db.iso /mnt/cdrom1/
>
> [root@walt cdrom1]# gunzip -c nea.dmp.gz > /opt/burn/nea.dmp
>
> gunzip: nea.dmp.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
>
> gunzip: nea.dmp.gz: invalid compressed data--length error
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# umount /mnt/cdrom1/
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# scp fs2:/backup/db.iso .
> root@walt mysql_archive]# mount -t iso9660 -o loop db.iso /mnt/cdrom1/
> [root@walt cdrom1]# gunzip -c nea.dmp.gz > /opt/burn/nea.dmp
> [root@walt cdrom1]#
>
> This is really frustration because this is a weekly archive of our database
> exports and most of the time, the gzipped file on the cd is corrupt even
> though I can gunzip the original file.
>
> System information:
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# uname -a
> Linux walt 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:37:53 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cat /etc/issue
> Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
>
> [root@walt mysql_archive]# cat /etc/fstab
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/storage          /opt                ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hdc1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro
> 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro
> 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Plaease include you actual /etc/mtab (or better yet /proc/mounts) at the
moment of tests. This does not state things like nfs you mentioned.

It seems more like kernel problem.

See if vanilla 2.4.19 kernel you build from sources yourself works for
you. Mind there were some issues with gdb in RedHat - you need to
compile using "kgcc" - make sure you compile with gcc 2.95.4 (called
kgcc in some RedHats) and not gcc 3 (often found as default gcc in
RedHat).

See REPORTING-BUGS in kernel sources and try to include information
mentioned there. Important information would be what drivers are
compiled in your kernel, that is kernel configuration. Try several
kernel versions. Try different konfigurations (turn of seemingly
unrelated drivers, turn on and off varuous IDE bugfixes).

Cross-post to linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org with this additional info on
your system.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>