strange diff or file system behavior

I've run into a strange problem either with diff or with the file system. I
have an iso image of a gzipped file called db.iso.  If I copy that file to a
new file on the same partition and run diff, it tells me they differ. Also,
when I copy the file via nfs(see example below for /fs2-backup/), it corrupts
the gzip, but not when I scp the file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Here are a few examples:

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cp db.iso db.iso-1
[root@walt mysql_archive]# diff db.iso db.iso-1
Binary files db.iso and db.iso-1 differ

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cp /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 .
[root@walt mysql_archive]# diff /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 vmlinuz-2.4.18-3
[root@walt mysql_archive]#

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cp vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 timma
[root@walt mysql_archive]# diff vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 timma
[root@walt mysql_archive]#

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cp db.iso ../
[root@walt mysql_archive]# diff db.iso ../db.iso
Binary files db.iso and ../db.iso differ

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cp db.iso /opt/
[root@walt mysql_archive]# diff db.iso /opt/db.iso
[root@walt mysql_archive]#

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cp /fs2-backup/db.iso .
[root@walt mysql_archive]# mount -t iso9660 -o loop db.iso /mnt/cdrom1/
[root@walt cdrom1]# gunzip -c nea.dmp.gz > /opt/burn/nea.dmp

gunzip: nea.dmp.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

gunzip: nea.dmp.gz: invalid compressed data--length error

[root@walt mysql_archive]# umount /mnt/cdrom1/

[root@walt mysql_archive]# scp fs2:/backup/db.iso .
root@walt mysql_archive]# mount -t iso9660 -o loop db.iso /mnt/cdrom1/
[root@walt cdrom1]# gunzip -c nea.dmp.gz > /opt/burn/nea.dmp
[root@walt cdrom1]#

This is really frustration because this is a weekly archive of our database
exports and most of the time, the gzipped file on the cd is corrupt even
though I can gunzip the original file.

System information:
[root@walt mysql_archive]# uname -a
Linux walt 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:37:53 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)

[root@walt mysql_archive]# cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/storage          /opt                ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hdc1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro
0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro
0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Cheers!
--
Walter Anthony
System Administrator