error compiling 2.4.18 + 2.4.19r1 patch with make-kpkg

Hi there,

I#'m a linux newbie in somewhat over my head trying to get sound to
work on my new machine.  I've had to recompile the kernel several
times, and on my latest attempt I keep getting the same error over
and over again.  I'm using the make-kpkg command on debian -- which I
htink is pretty similar to the standard kernel build, just more
automated & builds the .deb package -- and anyway, as a
non-programmer I'm someewhat lost.  I get the following error message:

init/main.c: In function `root_dev_setup':
init/main.c:296: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
init/main.c:296: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
init/main.c:296: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
init/main.c:296: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
init/main.c:296: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
init/main.c:296: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
init/main.c:298: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
make[1]: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

The problem seems to be with a line in main.c regarding
root_device_name (I think it has to do with identifying the root
partition).  Anyway, does anyone know how the variable is
initialized, so I can trace the problem back to its source?  Has
anyone seen anything similar in the past?

THanks for your help.  If this is the wrong place to be asking this
kind of question, pleasel et me know.

matt