Re: hiding PCI devices in linux

Not sure if this will work in your case, but the lmc-wan driver does it.
Why not change the PCI sub vendor ID and filter it out.  I assume the
intel chip allows the user to supply the subvendor id (or some id) in the
eeprom.

-Andrew

On 24 Jul 2002, Kashif Shaikh wrote:

> Is it possible to hide network PCI devices under Linux?  Meaning I don't
> want user-space to be able to access the device through normal
> means(i.e. ifconfig, etc).
>
> The catch: I have two instances of the same network device (Intel
> 82557), and I only want to hide the first network device detected (from
> /proc/pci).  The second one should be seen by user-space.
>
> Easy answer is: disable the NIC from bios(they are embedded btw).  Yes I
> can do this, but without trying to explain the actual situation(quite
> long), lets just say the first NIC is 'dedicated' for headless
> motherboard management. Only problem is the BIOS/motherboard doesn't
> hide the NIC from the OS(Linux in this case) and has problems sharing
> the device with Linux.
>
> Of course I can work around not using eth0, but I'm looking for a more
> 'idiot-proof'(hehe), cleaner solution.  So would I have to modify the
> NIC's driver under linux or is there a simpler way I can do this?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kashif
>
> --

---
Andrew Stanley-Jones         | "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
EE, LongEz N87KJ             |                           -- Walt Disney