hiding PCI devices in linux

Is it possible to hide network PCI devices under Linux?  Meaning I don't
want user-space to be able to access the device through normal
means(i.e. ifconfig, etc).

The catch: I have two instances of the same network device (Intel
82557), and I only want to hide the first network device detected (from
/proc/pci).  The second one should be seen by user-space.

Easy answer is: disable the NIC from bios(they are embedded btw).  Yes I
can do this, but without trying to explain the actual situation(quite
long), lets just say the first NIC is 'dedicated' for headless
motherboard management. Only problem is the BIOS/motherboard doesn't
hide the NIC from the OS(Linux in this case) and has problems sharing
the device with Linux.

Of course I can work around not using eth0, but I'm looking for a more
'idiot-proof'(hehe), cleaner solution.  So would I have to modify the
NIC's driver under linux or is there a simpler way I can do this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kashif