CPU and PCI help requested

Hi,

I'm working on an NSF grant this summer to develop a Beowulf Cluster
Monitoring system.  We're trying to monitor both idle CPU time and
Network access.  One thing we're stuck on right now is an appropriate
place to put our code into the kernel so that we can monitor some of
the network access.  We'd really like to know source and destination IP
for each packet, as well as protocol and size of each packet.  We tried
to put our code in net/core/dev.c, but we realized those modifications
cut down the network throughput.

Another thing we're looking for is how to transfer data across the PCI
card.  We are designing a PCI card to send this data over a network
that we design to a monitoring computer to then display the data.  Do
we just write to the memory allocated to each device to send data
across the PCI bus?  How do we know when the data we have written there
is actually sent?

Thanks!  Any help would be appreciated.  We are working at an
undergraduate institution and the only people working on this are 2
electrical engineers with minimal kernel knowledge and little C
knowledge as well.

Jeremy & Jeremy
--
Jeremy C. Andrus