Re: user space threads

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 03:33:31PM -0000, Pichai  Raghavan wrote:
> I am new to user space threads. I have a question regarding it.
>
> Suppose if one user space thread blocks on system call; will
> another thread belonging to the same process as the 1st get to run
> before the 1st one wakes up on the system call? (i.e is the
> scheduler aware of user space threads? )

If they are userspace, that is pure userspace, then scheduler is not
aware of them. Then it depends on what kind of syscall. Some can be
interrupted and then restarted, others will just block everything.
However linux pthread library does NOT use userspace threads. It calls
clone to create threads that behave like processes (just they share
memory) and scheduler is aware of this kind of threads.

                  				- Jan Hudec `Bulb' <bulb@ucw.cz>