RE: Load kernel module automatically

> Right. I'm just saying that if you've written your own
> module, it makes more sense to do the "cp mymodule.o
> /lib/modules/$VERSION ; depmod -a" dance, than to
> try to keep track of the locations of modules scattered
> all about the filesystem. My post was addressed
> to the "you should _not_ do this" assertion by Mr
> Sandall.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Joe
>    "Thanks to Microsoft, I am now blind in both eyes. They have
>     rolled back in my head so many times this week that they
>     are apparently stuck there now."
>       - Jonathan Rickman, regarding M$ anti-open-source PR.
> --
>
> Still the question is:
>
> I may be wrong with this but try adding your module to the
> /etc/modules.conf file and see if it works...

don't shoot me for what follows, this is my best shot :)
actually, i don't use modules but i'll write down 2 things i once used.
for my network card i had the following line:
alias eth0 rtl8139
afaik it means that to activate eth0 it has to load the rtl8139 module
alias renames that stuff , don't know why

and for lm_sensors i put the following line
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

if you do an ls -la on /dev/i2c you can see that they all have major 89,
it seems to me that an access to those device files means that it will
load the i2c-dev.o module

- for the 3com network card as a module i think you should look in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation
- souns card stuff is (in my opinion) black magic when you use alsa. an
example:
	alias char-major-116 snd

       alias char-major-14 soundcore

       alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

       alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

       alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

       alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
       alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss

       alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

       alias snd-card-0 snd-card-intel8x0

look in the specific alsa documentation for exact information.
Suse has also a very nice modules.conf file, if there is interest i can
send it to the list

regards,
stijn