Re: Load kernel module automatically

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Joseph A Knapka wrote:

> Eric Kristopher Sandall wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Michael Zhu wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I built a kernel module. I can load it into the
> > > kernle using insmod command. But each time when I
> > > reboot my computer I couldn't find it any more. I mean
> > > I need to use the insmod to load the module each time
> > > I reboot the computer. How can I modify the
> > > configuration so that the Linux OS can load my module
> > > automatically during reboot? I need to copy my module
> > > to the following directory?
> > >   /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/
> >
> > You don't need to do this, actually, you should _not_ do this.
>
> Forgive me, but how else, without copying the module.o to
> /lib/modules/<version>/... and doing "depmod module.o",
> is the kernel able to find the module in order to load it?
> Is not /lib/modules/<version> the standard place to install
> module binaries?

indeed, /lib/modules/<version> is the standard place for all your modules.
you don't have to put them there yourselve because there are scripts in
the top makefile of your kernel that do it.  my standard command is:
$ make dep && make modules && make modules_install && make bzImage

afterwards you can do:
$ depmod -va
to make the modules.dep file and warn for any unresolved symbols in your
modules.

when everything is finished you can modprobe your modules

> > > I've done that. But it doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Just put the module name in /etc/modules
> > example: I want my network card (3Com 3c905c - 3c59x module), vfat, and
> > ide-scsi (for my IDE burner) to load at
> > boot, so I have in my /etc/modules:
> >
> > 3c59x
> > ide-scsi
> > vfat
> >
> > The order does not matter.
>
> But still, the kernel must be able to find the module
> binary and identify its dependencies.

dependencies are found with depmod. i don't think the kernel knows where
the modules are, modprobe knows.

regards,
stijn