Problem with modules

Hi ,
    I am haveing linux kernel version 2.4.7-10 which came along with red hat
7.2.I have a realtek 8139 n/w card and its corresponding module file is
8139too.o
The /etc/modules.conf file has many entries one of which (i suppose) for the
n/w card is
alias eth0 8139too
   When i initially installed I could see many modules when i executed lsmod
or cat /proc/modules.I concluded that my loadable modules were enabled.

   Later on i compiled the  same kernel and choose my network card to be
in-built.I didnt change nething else and also i didnt change any files in
/etc directory.
   The problem is not only my network card refuses to work but when i do
lsmod or /proc/modules i couldnt see any modules loaded. I did ps- ax and i
saw that kernel event deamon was running(i.e the loadable modules support is
indeed enabled).

   Also now if i choose the network card support as a loadable module and
again compile the kernel it works fine.And when i do lsmod i can see the
8139too and my audio modules loaded.

   I would like to know why does my network card refuses to work when i
configure it as a in-built.Do i have to make changes to /etc/modules.conf ?

Thanks and regards,
Abhi