Re: The process of discovering a PCI IDE controller

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 08:44:54AM -0600, VINSON WAYNE HOWARD wrote:
> I would apreciate it if someone could walk me through the process of how,
> on boot, the kernel finds and configures pci IDE controllers.  I'm having
> a hard time finding the relevant files or figuring out the order in which
> things are done.  I'm particularly interested in finding the spot where
> they are searched for.

Place where the PCI devices are searched for?  Or IDE devices
specifically?  The PCI bus is scanned in the code living in
drivers/pci/*.c (2.4 and 2.5 have different files in this directory.)

> Also, somewhere in the kernel is there a file that defines the vendor and
> device IDs that represent known IDE controllers that are searched for?
> I'd be very interested in finding that as well.

The IDE controller PCI ids are contained in the individual IDE
controller drivers.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h