The process of discovering a PCI IDE controller

I would apreciate it if someone could walk me through the process of how,
on boot, the kernel finds and configures pci IDE controllers.  I'm having
a hard time finding the relevant files or figuring out the order in which
things are done.  I'm particularly interested in finding the spot where
they are searched for.

Also, somewhere in the kernel is there a file that defines the vendor and
device IDs that represent known IDE controllers that are searched for?
I'd be very interested in finding that as well.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne Vinson