Re: SV: Pid lkm

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Christian Vik wrote:

> Those surrounded by [] lives in kernelspace, and has a process ID (pid)
> assigned to them.

Yeah those are all a completely seperate entity, you're now talking about
kernel threads, created by using the following interface.

int kernel_thread(int (*fn)(void *), void * arg, unsigned long flags)).

> Beeing a kernel newbie this also makes me wonder why the have process
> IDs.
> I sure hope it isn't possible to kill the ksoftirqd_CPU0 :)
> So I would be glad if anyone could explain to me why they have process
> IDs. Has it something to do with scheduling?

They are quite true to their "process" character and you can interact with
them in much the same manner. Regarding the scheduling, you might also
want to check out the 'nice' value of some of those kernel threads (e.g.
ksoftirqd_CPU0)

Cheers,
	Zwane Mwaikambo

--