Re: sting.h header files

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Rahul Ravindran wrote:

> I cant use string.h, time.h etc header files which are otherwise
> available for application development while writing a device driver.
> Are there any alternate header files available for use in device
> driver development , or should I write my own header files?

There are header files you can use with the kernel.  For instance, on
intel you'll find appropriate headers in linux/include/asm-i386.  You can
find appropriate headers easily enough with a find/grep command.  Eg. to
find strcat:
  find linux/include -name \*.h -exec grep -l strcat {} \;

These don't provide all the features available in glibc, but you're in the
kernel, so you shouldn't need all those features (look very closely at
your design if you think you *do* need them).  For instance, you have
string.h, but you don't have time.h.  That's because time.h does things
like setting up timers and doing timezone conversions.  You don't use
timers like this in the kernel, and timezone stuff is a job for userspace.

BTW, don't write your own header files for any functions you think you
need.  The difficulty isn't the header, but rather whether or not the
function is available to be linked in.  If it's not already in a kernel
header file, then it's just not there to be linked in.

Everyone else:  feel free to correct me where I'm wrong here!  :-)

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")