Re: case sensitivity

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 21:25, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> > > You sure ? I may be missing some historical data, but doesn't JFS comes from
> > > AIX ? When I used to work with AIX, there was nothing case-insensitive
> > > about it.
> > Yes, JFS has the option (-O) on 'mkfs' time.
> > Sadly JFS sucks!
>
> On linux ? Maybe. I never tested. On AIX it rocks.

Yes, it really surprised me.

As I previously said in this thread, I wanted to try out it's case
insensive behaviour. To do this I had to make a backup of the partition
I was going to convert. This backup resulted in a 980MB tar.bz2 file.

I then converted the 12GB filesystem with (if I remember correctly)
mkfs.jfs -cO /dev/hda6.

The conversion completed successfully.

After mounting the directory, I did a tar xvpjf filename.tar.bz2 to the
respective mount point.
The last operation resulted in tar getting stuck in an unkillable
D-state after extracting a random number of files from the archive.

'cp' of the archive file to the 'jfs directory' also got 'cp' stuck in
D-state.
After having rebooted several times, I was at last able to copy the
archive file over to the directory with 'dd' and a blocksize of 4k.
I hoped that extracting the file from the 'jfs directory' made any
difference. It did not.
bzip2 -d on the file also failed, but succeeded when I supplied -s (for
small memory footprint <= 250k)
It seemed like the standard blocksize for these commands did not work
well with such a large file(?).

I tried to extract the remaining tar file (with different blocksize),
but with no luck.

...then I gave up, converted the filesystem back to reiserfs, and
extracted the archive file without problems.

I did not have time to investigate the issue further, and felt that I
had given it a fair try.

Btw: this was kernel-2.4.19-pre8-ac5.

I'll probably send some more info to LKML when I have time.

-p.