Re: ipchains question

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:46:46AM -0400, Dan Erickson wrote:
> 	Im not sure if I should be asking this question here

Probably not :) this list is dedicated to programming within the kernel.
Perhaps the focus-linux list at securityfocus.com is better. But, you
should probably better define what it is you want before posting there
-- what you are after seems rather nebulous.

> 	Basicly I have a router / firewall conifuration for my lan. What I
> want to do is when running a server, I want it so when somebody nmap's me,
> or whatever, it doesnt even show up on nmaps output, but yet still having
> the server perfectly runnable.

I'd suggest reading about ipchains, NAT, and port forwarding. Servers
hidden behind a NAT firewall that has port fowarded specific ports to
specific computers won't appear as the real server -- however, attacks
to port 80 on your firewall will still wind up attacking
apache/iis/whatever on the machine doing the actual serving. Only
application proxies can filter out that junk. (Of course, now you're
trusting an application proxy to be safer than the server...)

Of course, if what you really want is a 'transparent firewall' that
won't show up on nmap or similar tools, you will want to read about
filtering bridges; at least the ipf and pf firewalls (available for most
unix systems, and openbsd, respectively) can do this. Maybe Linux can do
it too. (For something concrete:
http://www.inebriated.demon.nl/pf-howto/html/node4.html )

Cheers!

--