RH7.1 and initscripts

Hi all,
       I have installed RH7.1 and compiled the kernel (2.4.6) for 386 in

a pentium m/c.It boots in this m/c.
When  I try to boot from a 486 ,it exits from rc.sysinit while trying to

remount the root fs as rw (It has already mounted root fs as ro of 4GB),

and then hangs while trying to update fstab as it has got only ro.
Also the linux boot has detected the 4GB.
Then in boot option i gave rw permission for root, it then enters the
run level 3 and executes all the minimal scripts available but since it
has exited from rc.sysinit neither pam module is initialised nor the
modules insmoded , so i am not able to log in ?
My first question is does the init script check whether it executed all
the commands in rc.sysinit successfully ,and only then enter the run
levels ?
If its not the case isnt it to be that way, like if its not able to
mount rootfs in rw what is the use of entering run level 3.
I couldnt get an answer from google search.

My second q is the initscripts dependent on the architecture ?
I could find some search on initscripts for RH7.1 i386 arch,mentioned
below.
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=initscripts
Is there any link explaining the dependencies, as far as the code i
could go through i dont get any idea on the dependency .

Thanks
nk