Re: ioctl driver call additional info

Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:17:30AM -0500, David Stroupe wrote:
>
>>I have noticed that if the passed stuff (DMA) size approaches a page
>>(0x1000) in size I start to see the problem....is there a size limit
>>involved here?  I do see references to page faults in any oops that may
>>occur if this call crashes.
>>

> Yes, I think you are limited to a page in size here.
>
> If you want to send that much data across the user<->kernel boundry,
> there are better ways of doing it than this (I think you use vmalloc,
> but the mm people know this much better than I do.)
>
> Or just do a write() on the /dev node with the data.  Or my personal
> favorite, create a filesystem, and for every different ioctl that you
> would have created, create a different file entry.

Thanks for the suggestions....this is a port from win32 and since I
never need 512 pages of memeory (the windows #define) I can reduce the
struct size to 400 bytes or so...man I wish I had know about that limit
cos I sure wasted a lot of hours trying to debug it:)

Thanks very much for helping make sense from chaos:)

Best regards,
David