Re: Load Map

--- David Stroupe <dstroupe@keyed-upsoftware.com> wrote:
> Christine Ames wrote:
>
> > --- David Stroupe <dstroupe@keyed-upsoftware.com> wrote:

<snip

> >>I am trying to get a serial console working, but have too many
> >>males and
> >>not enough female connections...anyway that's another story.
> >>

> > Heh...naw...I'm not gonna' touch that...
> >

> >>Any info that you could provide would be very helpful.
> >>

> > Null modem cables rule!  If you need more help with the console
> > thing, let me know.
> >

> I have one of these and have it connected...is there a way to
> easily
> force some data out of the port so that I can see if I have the
> terminal
> emulation software and cableing set up correctly?
>
> Thanks for the script too!!
>
> David

You've got two computers (your host, and your target) connected via a
null modem cable plugged into, for example, COM1.

To see if the cable has been hooked up properly, go to the target
machine (for example) and type:

cat < /dev/ttyS0

then, on the host machine send something to the serial port:

cat foobar > /dev/ttyS0

Communication needs to work both ways.  Reverse host/target in the
example above and do it again to make sure.

Harmony,

--Christine