Re: Linux

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 03:24, Rupi wrote:
> Hi, I am a total Linux newbie, in fact I don't think that you could even call me a newbie yet!
>
> I have a spare computer, celeron 600MHz, 64MB and 15GBHDD, and I would like to know how I can get a hold of a decent Linux OS, one that has a good user interface and does not cost much and is relatively straight forward to set up.
>
> Could you please advise me

Let's all give Rupi some good advice?

Rupi,
sounds like you have a fine computer for starting with Linux.

You do not say which country you come from - that might help
us to steer you towards a source of a Linux distribution.

If you have access to a broadband network connection, and
can borrow a CD burner, you can in fact download ISO images
of install CD-ROMs for Linux distributions - for free!
I will assume that you do not have these.

There are many, many Linux distributions out there.
http://www.distrowatch.com

I will stick my neck out and say that many people say Mandrake
is easy to install, and is good for beginners.
(I don't use Mandrake myself).

If you would like to buy Linux CDs at low cost, try the Linux Emporium
http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk