Re: programming the serial port

Seth Arnold wrote:

> (b) honestly, what are they teaching in schools these days? "Yeah, we
> know there is a nice, portable, way you can talk to serial drivers on
> most every unix-ish system in the world. We don't want you to do that."

I'm not sure why people are so mystified by this. Clearly
the intent of the assignment is not to learn to communicate
between two machines via serial link, but rather to learn
how to program a 16x50 UART. There are certainly environments
where that knowledge is useful, even today. Not all hardware
is capable of running Linux (I'd like to see a Linux port to
my 6811 board w/512 bytes of RAM), but Linux is a reasonable
environment in which to learn about hardware control.

OTOH, Bart, I don't personally know the best way of
accomplishing the assigned task. I suspect some
kernelspace code will be necessary, but perhaps not.

Cheers,

-- Joe
    Any OS distinguishable from Windows is not sufficiently broken.