Re: programming the serial port

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 08:29:18PM +0200, Bart Vandewoestyne wrote:
> and that's *not* what I have to do: i have to program
> the UART directly, that is 'set individual bits on the UART' up until
> i manage to send something out and receive something...
>
> I guess I will be needing the inb, outb or ioctl system calls, right?

(a) ioctl(2) will be using a file descriptor :)
(b) honestly, what are they teaching in schools these days? "Yeah, we
know there is a nice, portable, way you can talk to serial drivers on
most every unix-ish system in the world. We don't want you to do that."

You might be able to do this from userspace, with iopl(2) or ioperm(2),
and the right magic assembly to poke bytes into specific registers. Or
you might need to do it in the kernel. I'm not sure. :) BTW, check out
serial.c, and if you can write something that provides the same API but
is nicer, I'm sure others would like to see it. I've heard nothing but
ill will towards it. :)

--
http://www.wirex.com/