VLAN

---------------------- Forwarded by Bala Iyer/Apex Data Inc/01 on 04/29/2002
01:43 PM ---------------------------

Bala Iyer
04/27/2002 03:17 PM

Help Pls......................!

Subject:  Re: VLAN  (Document link: Bala Iyer)

Hi

Thanks a lot for the information..! It was very usefull.

I downlaoded the prepatched verion of kernel i.e. Release 1.6 for Kernel: 2.4.14
Complied and using it.. works fine.. thanks!
Using vconfig i am able to add (create) and destroy vlan.
By doing a cat on /proc/net/vlan/config .. i am able to see the existing vlan's
in the interface.

We printed the first sixteen bytes of the ethernet packet in hard_st_txmit
function but we are unable to see the VLAN proto ID.
It have certain doubts... can you pls clear them ...!

1)   What happens at the recieve end of the system if it recieves an taged
packet?
          (Does it remove the tag before sending it to the upper layer?)

2)   What happens when a tagged packet arrives at a system which does not have
vlan support?
     (Does it drop the packet completly or after doing some processing...!)

3)   About inserting the priorities .. does it have any significance outside the
system ...?
     (I believe VLAN packet consists of only VLAN protocol ID, VLAN ID and
priority.)
     Which priority it is .. whether it is egress or ingress.

4)   How do use ethreal to capture tagged packets? I tired using filters there
.. didn't work? Help... pls...!

Thanks & Regards,

Balachandar. R