Re: VLAN

Hi!

First of all, the VLAN implementation follows the 802.1q definitions:
http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.1Q-1998.pdf
So for ultimate reference, use this text as my work with VLANs date of more than
six months ;-)

You can also try the vlan linux implementation mailing list:
vlan@scry.wanfear.com
or to suscribe:

> We printed the first sixteen bytes of the ethernet packet in hard_st_txmit
> function but we are unable to see the VLAN proto ID.
> It have certain doubts... can you pls clear them ...!
>
> 1)   What happens at the recieve end of the system if it recieves an taged
> packet?
>           (Does it remove the tag before sending it to the upper layer?)
VLAN is a feature that works on a lower level than IP (or of any protocol you
are using... the VLAN is completelly independent of the protocol you use!).
"The addition of a tag header to the frame. This header is inserted immediately
following the destina-tion MAC Address and source MAC Address (and routing, if
present) fields of the frame to be trans-mitted;" p.62 of reference.

That means that the IP paquet will have an extra tagg before being send through
the network. So the paquet MUST be detagged before being send to upper layers.

> 2)   What happens when a tagged packet arrives at a system which does not
> have
> vlan support?
>      (Does it drop the packet completly or after doing some processing...!)
Well... in that case the system will probably try to interpret the paquet as a
tcp/ip paquet (or whatever the protocol is) and it will not recognize it. So it
will very probably drop it.

> 3)   About inserting the priorities .. does it have any significance outside
> the
> system ...?
>      (I believe VLAN packet consists of only VLAN protocol ID, VLAN ID and
> priority.)
>      Which priority it is .. whether it is egress or ingress.
I don't really get the question. But if you are asking me if the priority you
set is valid in a single system or all along the path... the priority will be
applied (if applied) depending of the priority part of the header, but also of
the VLAN ID. And sometimes a bridge can simply not apply any priority rule! That
means that, if what you call system is one computer, the priority CAN have a
sens ouside the system. But if your system is a VLAN network, it will not have a
sens outside the network. But you may find paquets that are priority-tagged but
with no VLAN ID! p.11 of the reference.

> 4)   How do use ethreal to capture tagged packets? I tired using filters
> there
> .. didn't work? Help... pls...!

I never used Ethereal before. But I find this text in
http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/lists/netdev/200005/msg00141.html  It is from the
programer of the patch I gived you:
"Ethereal, and a modified tcpdump, distributed with the VLAN pkg on my page,
can snoop/decode the VLAN packets.  Ethereal is better and prettier, IMHO :)"
So I supose it sould work...

A new feature aded since Release 1.5:
"Add relatively large change by Nick Eggelston that makes VLAN devices more
transparent to tools like tcpdump and other raw packet snoopers. This will only
be enabled when the REORDER_HDR flag is set."
So think about using tcpdump instead...

Good luck!!

Guille