Re: Evaluate A Typical System's Speed

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 06:13:00PM +0300, Ilker Gokhan wrote:
> i tested gigabit eth and 100 mbit ethernet cards on some systems and i
> noticed that bottleneck was generated between CPU and disk. Simply, you
> can see it yourself with helping copy/http get/write and time utility.I
> remember there are alot articles on the net regarding system
> bottlenecks. You can use google..:-)

You have been using the wrong card and/or wrong software. Check out the
TUX webserver: it uses zerocopy sendfile() and with the correct network
card (3com  and drivers it ofloads the TCP/IP checksum to the network card.
TUX showed that the real bottle neck is the notoriously slow PCI bus,
*not* the CPU, memory, or disk. See a linux-kernel archive for more
information, or http://people.redhat.com/mingo/TUX-patches/ for the TUX
web server.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,