Re: shared memory

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:28:39AM +0530, karthik wrote:
>            I am planning to share data between my kernel driver (module)
>
> and a user program using shared memory.

That's something most drivers do, or otherwise they're pretty useless :)

> I am calling sys_shmget in the initialization function of the module..
> when i insert the module it crybs for unresolved symbol sys_shmget.
> I have Virtual Memory file system support built in kernel(2.4.2) &
> compiled my module with the following options
> -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O2  ...
> Am i missing some of the dependencies ?

The kernel is always compiled with virtual memory support, or otherwise
it couldn't provide protection. You need to enable SysV IPC.

However, the easiest way to share data between the kernel and a driver
is to mmap() the device file, so just implement a mmap() method in your
driver and you're done.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,