Driver Robustness

I have written a driver for a data acqusition board.  That having been
completed, I am adding supporting user space code in the form of C++
classes and such.  During this development, I find errors in my user
space code that causes a crash (null pointer and such).  When this
happens, the driver is still running fine, but sometimes claims that it
can not be removed because it still thinks that the crashed app is using
it.  (I assume that the driver is still ok because I can start a new
application and talk to the driver and board)  What is the appropriate
way to resolve this issue at the driver level?  I don't have any
specific "uses counter" in my driver that is being incremented, so
how/why does the driver think that it is busy?  My ultimate goal is to
make the driver bullet proof so that a reboot is never necessary to
resolve whatever a user may try to do from  a wayward application.  Any
driver level advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

--
Best regards,
David Stroupe