Re: Going to runlevel 6

On 1 Mar 2002, Miguel Garcia Lopez wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> 	I would like to know if there is any kernel mechanism to change the
> runlevel of my machine. I am working on a -sort of- watchdog module and
> would like to be able to nicely reboot my machine if any process does
> not refresh it (as if I gave a "shutdown -r now" command). Is there such
> a way? I have tried machine_restart(NULL), but it does a "hard" reboot.

Should be done in userland (its handled by init), and the kernel should
not have to know about these kinds of things. Then again if things were so
fubared that a process with the watchdog died, then you're not bound to be
able to shutdown cleanly anyway.

> 	Also, I am very interested on being able to retreive current system
> time in a human-readable form (YY/MM/DD hh:mm:ss). Is is possible to do
> so within kernel space? If not, maybe someone could give some hint on
> how to do it using "gettimeofday and friends" functions.

Also should be done in userland, why would you need to have pretty printed
time for anyway?

Regards,
	Zwane