Re: Block-sharing filesystem

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 14:42, Riccardo Lancellotti wrote:
> on mon, 2002-02-25 at 15:02, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > ...an idea just occured to me - can there be a filesystem, where identical
> > blocks are shared between files
>
> Such a solution tend to increase file fragmentation, thus increasing the
> time to read the file because more disk seeks are needed.

Ah yes, but what if you are really short of space and are using a flash
disk say as part of an embedded system?  Seek times are irrelevant and
the space saving could become worthwhile.

Another possibility is to add support for holing data from more than one
file in a single block.  I remember this being talked about in
"Understanding the Linux Kernel" (Bovet & Cesati) as a feature that
might be added at some stage in the future.

Andy