Re: Linux under high load

Do you see any zombies? Did you make sure there are no memory leaks in the
driver?

----- Original Message -----
From: Martin Maletinsky <maletinsky@scs.ch>
To: <kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 3:41 PM
Subject: Linux under high load

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a device driver. While testing the driver, I run it under
high load (i.e. most of the physical memory is allocated by the driver,
hundreds of processes
> competing for access to the driver interface, which allows 32 processes at
a time only). In that situation, the machine 'almost hangs', i.e. input on
the terminal is
> processed extremly slowly (dozens of seconds up to more than a minute, for
a /sbin/lsmod) - this is not surprising, due to both, the lack of available
memory as well as the
> high number of running processes (moreover the machine is diskless,
booting over the network, and has no swap space).
> When I kill all the processes that use the driver (with killall), I
sometimes observe, that the driver's
> usage count does not drop to 0, and that the driver does not release the
memory it had allocated (the driver allocates memory on behalf of a process
when the process opens
> the driver - it releases that memory in the release() method). The
symptoms look as if some of the processes would have vanished, without
invoking the release() method.
> Since I don't observe any such problems or inconsistencies unless running
with excessively high load, I was wondering, if that problem might be
related to the Linux OS,
> rather than to my driver (one possiblity would be that Linux removes some
processes under high load, without properly calling the release method for
all open files).