How to compile kernel without networking support

Hi,
I am trying to compile linux kernel ( zImage ) for my IQ80310 eval board and
i want to do the same without networking support ( mainly tcp/ip )
so in the menuconfig step i disable the networkign support option, still
while creating the image ( make zImage ) it goes inside the net/core dir and
tries to do make all_targets bcos of which is i am getting error while
compiling sock.c file, and the compilation stops with error

any idea what might be the problem ?
basically i dont want tcp/ip support, but only disabling the tcp/ip module
didnt work as i banged on the same error, so i thouhgt of disabling the
networking option itself completely, but it still isnt working

the reason for me to disable the networking / tcp-ip support is that , when
the tcp-ip support is present, the zImage when executed on my eval board
hangs at the following prompt ...

<snip>
Uncompressing the kernel ......................

------------ the std boot messages ....................

TCP: Hash table initialised .............

</snip>

thats it, it just hangs in there
so i wanted to create a kernel w/o the tcp-ip part and see what happens
can some one help me in this

deepak