VM design question

I am trying to implement Linus' suggestion
on LKML 9/27/01 - regarding the limitation
on the size of the strings passed to sys_execve
through the argv and envp pointers.  Linus
asserted that he would like to see the limit go
away and that it should be done by reassigning the
pages containing the args in the old VM to the new
VM.

However it seems to me that if any arg string falls
after any envp string on any page in the old VM it
would be impossible to maintain the assumption that

  mm->arg_end < mm->env_start

since the design calls for the pages to be reassigned
from the old VM to the new VM, not copied.

I thought about adding a final flag to execve() to assert
that this relationship holds, in which case sys_execve
would try to use the no-copy scheme, but this would break
posix compliance wouldn't it?