Re: Learning

Joseph> Chris Mesterharm wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I was hoping someone could suggest an area within the Linux kernel
>> that could benefit from research in machine learning.

Joseph> People have suggested VM, but frankly, I think the issues with
Joseph> the Linux VM subsystem are fairly well-understood, and the main
[...]
Joseph> However, one place where ML could, IMO, have a significant
Joseph> impact, is on the page-replacement policy. Any method that

Strange enough, but people talking about "VM" actually have in mind
page replacement indeed.

Joseph> lets us make more accurate choices about what pages to read
Joseph> in from disk and what pages to throw away, will be a win,
Joseph> because it will postpone the thrash point. For example, if
Joseph> you have an algorithm that, over many runs of a program, makes
Joseph> weighted associations between the program inode and text
Joseph> and data pages that it uses, you may be able to make very
Joseph> accurate page-replacement choices *without* having to let
Joseph> pages filter all the way through the page cache. In other
Joseph> words, you may be able to implement a policy much closer
Joseph> to "Not Going To Be Used" than the current "Not Recently Used".
Joseph> That could significantly improve VM performance, and may
Joseph> have a positive influence on filesystem performance as
Joseph> well.

A suggestion/gut feeling/vague idea I had is to make linux recognize
memory access patterns of processes as a base for a prediction of the
future paging behavior.