Re: Learning

Chris Mesterharm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was hoping someone could suggest an area within the Linux kernel
> that could benefit from research in machine learning.

People have suggested VM, but frankly, I think the issues with
the Linux VM subsystem are fairly well-understood, and the main
reason that they aren't dealt with is that dealing with them
will require significant changes to the VM architecture, changes
that Rik and others are working on. For example, when the machine
starts to thrash, there's just no way you're going to be able
to be fair to all processes, so some of them will have to be
swapped out and made to hibernate until things even out; Linux
currently doesn't do that (well, last time I looked, anyway).

However, one place where ML could, IMO, have a significant
impact, is on the page-replacement policy. Any method that
lets us make more accurate choices about what pages to read
in from disk and what pages to throw away, will be a win,
because it will postpone the thrash point. For example, if
you have an algorithm that, over many runs of a program, makes
weighted associations between the program inode and text
and data pages that it uses, you may be able to make very
accurate page-replacement choices *without* having to let
pages filter all the way through the page cache. In other
words, you may be able to implement a policy much closer
to "Not Going To Be Used" than the current "Not Recently Used".
That could significantly improve VM performance, and may
have a positive influence on filesystem performance as
well.

Of course, that's all speculation. But might be worth a
look.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"