thank god someone IS out there!

Hi,

I'm messing with suse 6.2 with kernel 2.2.10.  I have wasted aproximatly 16 hours of my life trying to understand how to get a tulip driver to compile and install as a modular kernel for the fa311 network card without success.

forgive me if I sound bad tempered, I have just had a serious swearing session to get it off my chest.

I've been to scyld dot com, oh my god what are they on about...? All I get is errors when I do what I'm told on the instructions, besides which nobody seems interested in SUSE and it is so frustrating.

I know 7.3 and 2.4 support tulip better well I have a 56k modem and FTP just isn't happening for, me so please don't ask me to do anything like that, downloading six CDROMs worth of distribution is not going to make me laugh!

I could cope with 200mb or so, on a server that supports FTP resume as I can do it overnight but I don't want to spend a week downloading a load of stuff esp. since I don't have a cd burner.

What I am asking is, can somebody somewhere I DONT CARE WHO please spend 15 minutes of time to type an email with straitforward instructions of what version tulip.c, kern_compat.h, pci-scan.c and pci-scan.h files to download, (heck you can even attach them in a zip) what commands to type to make them install on a SUSE linux 6.2/2.2.10 (or failing that how to patch the kernel to a later revision to support tulip) system with the gnu gcc compiler.

I also want the newly compiled driver to show up in YAST with a different name than tulip, I don't know how to make it all happen I am desperate!

I do have my SUSE system on the network with an old NE2000 ISA, but thats not the point, the point is learning how to make something work I'm sure oyu understand its the learning curve that counts here!  Besides which all my computers use Netgears as they are cheap and easy to obtain, something SUSE and NETGEAR themselves don't seem to understand - why do they even bother if they aren't going to support people what a load of ****! (forgive me if I am wrong).

Thanks so much for offering support help and advice to kernel-hacking newcomers,  I look forward to hearing from you,

Happy new year!

David J.Mynett