Re: Downloading Linux

Could you please assist me in Downloading a linux Distribution on my PC. I have attemped this before with disasterous results. I've lost my confidence at this point in time and would appreciate some seasoned direction if anyone is willing to give it to me.
I have a Gateway built PC. As I have previously stated, I lost my previous hard drive data and had strip my hard drive down to a single partition, format it, and load up Windows 98SE again. Win98SE is the current OS and but the native linux distribution (DebianGNU/Linux 2.2r2)- KDE 2.1.1-Kernel 2.4.3
I can't afford to buy a new PC just for another OS, so could someone please help me install this distribution or if this distribution is not really for the elite, then another one that will assist me in my goal which is to become a System Kernel Programer. I have a reasonable understanding of Computers, but I have time and determination on my side and I have to start somewhere.
Let me know what you need to help.
Shazam