Re: Serial Port access from kernel

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 04:55:20PM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
| How large is the flash? The smallest flash footprint I got on a

1MB :(

| rootfs), but I think I can fit it in 1MB when I make the bootloader
| flash partition a bit smaller and use uClibc instead of glibc.

I've been using uClibc. How do I make the bootloader flash partition
smaller?

| What exactly is the target architecture?

It's ARM7TDMI with 4MB SDRAM and 1MB flash.

| I think you'd better use the bootloader to load the kernel over the
| serial port.

That's how I would like to do, but there doesn't seem to be any
bootloader around for ARM7TDMI. I'd posted it on uclinux-dev not very
long time back.

| I have written a bootloader for StrongARM systems (blob, see
| https://sf.net/projects/blob/ ) which does exactly that. Normal use is
| that the bootloader loads the kernel and an optional ramdisk from
| flash, but you can download a kernel and a ramdisk over the serial port
| in case you'd like to upgrade the kernel or the flash is too small.
| This requires exactly 0 modifications to the kernel, and the code is
| quite small (the bootloader flash footprint is 16k).

How easy is it to add support for new architecture? If it is, then
probably I can try and add support for ARM7TDMI.

| > I'm able to access the serial port using the serial port functions
| > defined in the driver for serial port.
| Sure, but it's all a bit of a hack; the bootloader is much better at

Yeah; it's a dirty thing to do.

chyrag.
--
Chirag Kantharia, symonds.net/~chyrag/