Re: Serial Port access from kernel

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:40:32PM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
| > Thanx for the reply. But, is there a way to invoke userland process
| > without a filesystem?
| No, but you'll need a filesystem anyway because otherwise the kernel
| can't start init.

[Cc'ed to uclinux-dev since it's more relevant there]

Ok; I'll confess now. My problem, is that of loading a kernel image from
a host pc into an embedded box. The flash on the embedded box's too less
to fit in the kernel, with a filesystem.

So, I modified the init() function to load a kernel from the serial
port, and write it to the RAM, which is quite in plenty. I'm expecting
to be able to boot using the kernel image in the RAM, next.

This might be incredibly stupid. I would like others to comment,
especially, if there's a better way to do things. The embedded box's
just got couple of serial ports and a couple of parallel ports.

I'm able to access the serial port using the serial port functions
defined in the driver for serial port.

chyrag.
--
Chirag Kantharia, symonds.net/~chyrag/