Strange problem

Hi,

I am running Linux on a diskledd MIPS based board. I am having only around 6 MB of RAM and I am running a root file system off compressed RAM file system. I am using glibc-2.2.3. Initially I am able to run programs off my root file system but when the free RAM approaches around 500 K (which I see from /proc/meminfo) the ld.so gives a strange problem when I sometimes load binary by saying

" cannot find symbol in libc-2.2.3.so"

On doing a symbol lookup in libc I find the symbol there. The worst part is if I try starting it again after a second or 2, it works fine. I am unable to deduce if it is linker or VM problem. Can any VM gurus out there help me? Can linux misbehave when it is low on physical memory?

Thanks
Raghav