Re: Help on kernel error message

Hi to all.  This is my first post on this list.

=>2) hardware problem - run memtest86 to check your system

I have a point to add here.

I am using a HP machine with Phoenix BIOS.  I had loaded Win95 on
it and it screwed up "system configuration data" (?) in BIOS.
While booting Linux, I used to see messages similar to "Hmm.
Page 1 allocated twice" within first ten lines or so.
(unfortunately I don't have the exact message).

Then sometimes the kernel would say, "unable to handle kernel
null pointer dereference at virtual address ..." followed by
register dump or "Aiee! Killed in interrupt handler" followed by
system hang.

I was about to try changing RAM and other hardware, but somehow I
managed to find an option in the BIOS that said "Reset
Configuration Data".  And from that time onwards the system is
doing fine.

-Kedar

***
"Life is complex. It has real and imaginary components. (L+iFE)"
***

-