demand paging of vmalloced memory

Hi All,

I was looking at the vmalloc source code; looks like when vmalloc is called, the kernel calls get_free_pages which actually allocates physical pages and patches the PTE. This means that demand paging is not done for kernel virtual memory pages. Is there any specific reason why demand paging is turned off for kernel virtual memory?

However on my MIPS machine, the basic TLB exception handler does not do any check if the TLB exception has happened for user or kernel; rather it takes care of doing demand paging for both user and kernel pages. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Raghav

-