Re: Recommend a Kernel

Il Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:20:19 -0400,  il tuo gatto camminando sulla
tastiera ha scritto:

>Hello,
>   I have convinced my company to allow a small team of us to develop a
>test bed capability using Linux on dual processor PC's. I am soliciting
>suggestions on a kernel version, set of patches and compiler version upon
>which to build. While some on the team may enjoy kernel hacking, I am
>looking for a stable SMP kernel that we can start with. If we can
>demonstrate some success here, then Linux will have made inroads into
>another MS-only shop. Your suggestions and advice will be gratefully
>reviewed and considered.

i have little experience with smp boxes but (if it helps):

working with standard kernels from kernel.org i had problems on a dual
PIII800 machine with kernels 2.4.8 and 2.4.6. Quite often i had oopses
during kernel compile (gcc 2.95 on a debian woody system): two oopses on
three compile runs. After the oops e2fsck crashed during the initial
check and only with a 2.2 NO SMP kernel i could reboot the box cleanly.
Same sort of problems with 2.2 SMP.
with 2.4.10 no problems during compile.

bye
--
maruko.cjb.net - Seti@Home applets

Designed for Windows... powered by Linux
-