Re: Recommend a Kernel

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 07:20:19PM -0400, TJMEAR wrote:

>    I have convinced my company to allow a small team of us to develop a
> test bed capability using Linux on dual processor PC's. I am soliciting
> suggestions on a kernel version, set of patches and compiler version upon
> which to build. While some on the team may enjoy kernel hacking, I am
> looking for a stable SMP kernel that we can start with. If we can
> demonstrate some success here, then Linux will have made inroads into
> another MS-only shop. Your suggestions and advice will be gratefully
> reviewed and considered.

I would recommend using a packaged 2.4 kernel provided by one of the distributions.

This is mainly because you can then report problems if you have any to the relevant
bug database, rather than the sometimes haphazard method of mailing to linux-kernel
mailing list.

regards
john

--
" It is quite humbling to realize that the storage occupied by the longest line
from a typical Usenet posting is sufficient to provide a state space so vast