Re: Seeking kernel params from an active running kernel.

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Lior Kesos wrote:

> John Levon wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 03:57:18PM +0300, Lior Kesos wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to write something that can analyze a running kernel and
> >>return the kernel parameters that kernel where compiled with
> >>(getting to the original autoconf.h that the kernel was compiled with).
> >>I thought of using ksyms but to then I understood that represents only
> >>the loaded symbols and thus the precompiled module I haven't loaded yet
> >>won't show on that check.
> >>

> >you can't really do this at all.
> >
> I got that kind of response in the irc channel as well and I'm trying to
> understand ,why it's impossible?
>
> The kernel itself has been compiled using the defines in autoconf.h that
> must leave some kind of trace in the binary result of this compilation.
> Even if I can somehow "parse" the live kernel in /boot/vmlinuz and
> search for those traces.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but these defines were handled by the
_preprocessor_, during the preprocessing compilation stage. when the
compiler sees the preprocessed source, it is already stripped
of all of these defines.

perhaphs you could explain further what exactly you need it for?
--
mulix
http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix

linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

-