Re: Understanding output from "nft list"

On Friday, August 23rd, 2024 at 15:50, Brian Sammon <bds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there a document that is good for understanding the output of "nft list"? (more specifically the kind of output that comes from "nfs list ruleset") In particular I'm looking for a description of the syntax.

Like Kerin says, experimentation is probably the best way.

One trick I used when learning nft syntax (and still do), is to use nft list with and without the -j (json format) option, and compare the two sets of output to get a better feel for what the "terse" form means.

$ nft list chain inet t1 c1
$ nft -j list chain inet t1 c1 | json_pp

(Having written compilers back in the '80s, the parse-tree form of the json looks very natural to me, although I suspect it isn't all that much better for many.  But, it won't hurt to try it and find out.)

Eric